Enquiries/Bookings: 0415 789820 | Email:

Frequently Asked Questions


Yes, you must have your basic ticket before you go for your intermediate and have your intermediate before you go for you the advanced ticket.

Yes, your ticket is valid Australia-wide.

Maybe. We train many interstate students but the Authority may refuse a high-risk work licence if the applicant does not reside in Victoria and does not have reasonable grounds for applying for the licence in Victoria.

Contact WorkSafe directly on 1300 852 562 or email licensing@worksafe.vic.gov.au to discuss your reasoning before enrolling in a training course.

No. You may only work as a scaffolder if you are enrolled in a high-risk training course relevant to the level of scaffolding you are undertaking with a registered training organisation (RTO) AND are being supervised at your workplace by a person with a licence for the relevant high-risk class.

5 years, after which time a refresher course will need to be done.

If you can prove currency of your scaffolding skills (continuation of skills) you may not need to do a refresher course. You will need to reapply for your licence through WorkSafe by obtaining an application at a Victorian Post Office or via WorkSafe in your state.

If you are unable to prove currency of your scaffolding skills you will need to attend a refresher course. The Scaffold Tool & Training Company are looking into conducting refresher courses please contact us on 1300 551 610 or enquiries@thescafftoolco.com.au to register your interest in attending a refresher course.

Yes, roofing protections falls under the scaffolding guidelines and you need a scaffolding licence High-Risk Work to install it where a person or object can fall more than 4 meters. A scaffolding course does not cover roofing material, however, the instruction and training for the use of a particular system must come from the manufacturer or supplier.

Yes, if it is a prerequisite on the site you are working on. Even though scaffold training covers some aspects of working at heights, many worksites will specify personnel to hold a Working at Heights card.


With Basic, you can build your scaffolding only to the manufacturer's instructions of modular or pre-fabricated scaffold systems (eg aluminium mobiles, steel modular, Kwiksage & Cuplock).

Intermediate allows you to build scaffold to your own requirements of tube and coupler scaffold (also known as tube & clip or tube & fit scaffold) including covered way, gantries, cantilevered crane loading platforms and mast climbing work platforms

The Advanced allows you to erect hung and suspended scaffolds.

STTC recognises trainees' current skills, knowledge and on-the-job experience. An application for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) can be made prior to the commencement of course. If you feel you would qualify for RPL please discuss this with our Training Coordinator and request an application form.

If you wish to make a complaint or appeal any decisions made by STTC an informal resolution is recommended. Should the complaint or appeal not be resolved satisfactorily, STTC will follow our Customer Complaint, Grievances and Appeals Procedure. Download a Student Complaints, Grievances & Appeals Form or obtain a form in the classroom. Complaints should be made within 30 days of completion of the course.

If you are deemed ‘Not Yet Competent’ (NYC) for any of the 3 assessment criteria (Knowledge Assessment, Practical Assessment & Assignment) you will be required to attend a future day/time to complete the area you have been deemed NYC, mutual agreed with your trainer, at no charge.

However, you do need to complete your NYC assessment criteria within 60 days of your first assessment date. Failure to do so will result in you being required to re-sit the entire assessment criteria at a cost of half the course fee.

Training in Victoria - upon completion of your course/s you will be issued with your Notice of Assessment (NOA) in duplicate. You will need to lodge your paperwork at a VICTORIAN Post Office within 60 days of issue.

  • Original Copy - Worksafe (Green/White): needs to be taken to post office
  • Assessment Summary - Applicant Copy (Pink): is your interim certificate which you use till you receive your card in the post

It is very rare for a scheduled course to be cancelled. The only reason a course would be cancelled is if there are less than 3 enrolments (as it is a requirement to have a minimum of 3 people to erect the scaffold). In this case, you would be contacted to reschedule for an upcoming course.

We are able to conduct weekend courses on demand when a booking is made of 4 trainees or more. You will need to contact us with trainees’ names, contact numbers and email addresses plus your preferred dates.

Fees need to be paid in full up front and a $200 per student weekend surcharge applies. Once course date/s are secured, the course will be advertised for additional students to enrol.

You will need to contact Incolink directly - click here.


You will need to undertake an assessment and be issued with a restricted Certificate of Competence. For more information please refer to Scaffolding, Access & Rigging New Zealand Inc

Unfortunately, other international scaffolding certificates are not recognised in Australia as Australian National Standards differ from other countries. However, your current skills will enable you to gain your Australian National Certificate with ease as The Scaffold Tool & Training Company has the shortest courses in Australia (4 days not 5 days for each course).

You will need a residential address here in Australia to apply for your High-Risk Work (Scaffolding) Licence.

In some cases, registered training organisations (RTOs) may enrol students who are temporarily visiting Australia on certain visas, other than study visas. However, some visas include restrictions on training. Further information is also available from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to see what type of visa is right for you. 

However, any course undertaken by a student visa holder must be registered on CRICOS. A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is also required for any additional study in a course undertaken by an overseas student whilst in Australia on a student visa.

If travelling from New Zealand, you will automatically be issued a Special Category visa (subclass 444) when you enter Australia. You will then be able to apply for a Unique Student Identifier number (USI) 

English is to be used in the assessment of HRW. Applicants/students must be sufficiently literate in English to pass theory, assignment and practical components of the HRW assessment without the use of an interpreter. Where verbal responses are allowed, they are to be conducted in English, recorded on the assessment paper and initialled by the candidate/applicant.

[Reasons for English include the need for applicants/students to perform written calculations and to read equipment load charts for classes including cranes, rigging, dogging and scaffolding.]

There is a 2-hour written test in English, you cannot share information, access training notes or help each other during the test.

You will need a residential address for your WorkSafe High-Risk Work Licence to be mailed to, although you do not need to reside here.